Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Story of the Two Dogs

Now here is my second favourite story by my Dad. It remains a powerful story for me and is easy to remember in detail – seeing as how when he was “happy” he sometimes would forget that he had told the story many times before. But then, that is what daughters are born for – to spoil their Daddy’s into thinking the sun rises and sets where they stand or sit.

Here is how it went: Once upon a time in a cabin in the woods lived an older man who was known as Turner. He was content being alone from human company, however he had two dogs – one was pitch black (called appropriately Evil) and one was the purest of white (also appropriately named Good).

Every Saturday, Turner would amble into the nearby village and bring his two dogs with him. These dogs, by the way were fighting dogs (a topic I really don’t like to get into and when I was old enough to realise what fighting dogs did had to wonder for a moment about my Dad.)

Nevertheless, everyone in the little village knew Turner and knew that every Saturday, he would be meeting up with his buddies, who also had fighting dogs. They would stand around talking and sharing stories and beers, smoking cigarettes and watching women walk by.

And for some reason, every Saturday one of the men would always set up a dogfight. Everyone would bet on the dogs and every week Turner would win the bet. No one could figure out how this happened. Sometimes he would fight with the white dog, Good, and sometimes with the black dog, Evil. And he would always win whether he bet for or against his dogs winning.

How Did He Know?

So everyone began to try to figure it out.

One day a young girl was walking through the woods where Turner lived and stopped by for a glass of milk and a cookie (long before little kids weren’t allowed to ever speak with a stranger and long before it seemed there was any true danger with grown up men and little girls.) She started coming by often and they would sit on the stoop of his porch and watch the butterflies and the humming birds competing for flowers.

He taught her about wood lore and how to fish; they became good friends and since Turner knew her folks it was OK because it was sort of like glorified babysitting for her parents.

Turner loved to tell stories and to pass on his wisdom to this young girl. One day she was watching the white dog and the black dog laying in the sum sleeping. She had never been afraid of the dogs, and would play with them for hours on end. But Turner had told her that they were fighting dogs, so she had great respect for the two hearty-looking dogs.


Since everyone knew of his amazing luck at knowing his dogs’ fighting abilities, her daddy one day asked her if she could find out the secret to Turner always knowing which of his dogs would win or lose in the weekly dog fights. So she asked him one day how he always knew which one would win.

His answer was simple. “The one who wins on Saturday is the one I feed well during the week.”

4 comments:

turnerBroadcasting said...

My profile, before I met my wife, who gentled me:


"Inside me are two wolves. One wolf is kind, generous and caring. He will help you and will be trustworthy and friendly.

Another wolf is cruel. Ravenous. Uncaring. Cold. Evil.

Which wolf will win?

... the one that I FEED."


-=-

Now here's the catch: the wolf that was the hungriest was the one that I +didn't+ feed.

Want to know the wildest thing about this in my SL profile?
Well, the night I edited my profil to read this, was the night I met a demon who had it written in his profile, while I was working in a sandbox. He is truly scary looking if you ever see him.. can't remember his name but he has blue flames glowing in the air near him.

So, at any rate. After I was done building , and had more or less tidied up, I went off to Dark City/ Toxia to kill Demons and liberate vampires.

Well, as fate would have it. I am shot by a wolf, one with different color eyes. A bisexual wolf who is completely nuts , and wants to kill humans. He shoots me , and so being a dark elf, I wing up into the fire escape and wait for him.
He zones in on me and just as we meet (mexican standoff) he says, wow sorry I thought you were someone else. We friend up and go hunting a human that dissed him, a girl named ghost.

Well as the night unfolds we happen to be roaming around the streets looking for trouble and causing no small amount ourselves when we meet up with what appears to be the foxiest wolf alive. She looks good. He howls and off he goes.

Now here is the funny part. This wolf is actually a nice wolf, but very weak. And a male wolf, dressed in a kimono. He spends alot of time curled up on the ground shivering. But when he is conscious... he is ok. Like now.
So they're talking, because my friend hit on him and its one of those awkward moments when they realize that they're two guys, and the other guy doesn't roll that way.

When my ex fiancee shows up. And she's just standing there.

And she reads my profile. And then looks at the two wolves to either side of me. A weak, good wolf. And a strong wolf loaded and packing heat.

And she just looks at me....

>:)

true story.
I changed my profile a few days after that. It was fun though for a while. I like it when people cna see through me a bit..

Not too much ... just a bit!

This person, turner. He sounds like a nice guy.

Lady Sheridanne Kelley said...

Turner - a noun. 1. someone or something that turns. 2. someone whose job is to work with a lathe. Anglo-Saxon 'turnian' and 13c Franch 'torner'.

Lathe - a machine tool used to cut, drill or polish a piece of metal, wood or plastic that is rotated against the cutting edge of the lathe. Anglo-Saxton 'laett'.

He turns this way. He turns that way. As long as he always and faithfully turns to me, it will turn out alright. For as the world - first or second - turns, he turns my heart to him slowly as on a burning lathe to turn it for good and not for evil.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it !

Unknown said...

My father was a turner ... he was consistent and reliable, and considered that a good husband was one who provided a wage and kept the family from starving. Few aspirations as he was a simple man. Now we expect and demand more from our lives, and keeping the wolves from the door maybe takes on a new meaning.
... Shane

- Shane

turnerBroadcasting said...

"I just hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they choose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahas with some good ideas."

- Deep thoughts. By Jack Handey