Saturday, August 11, 2007

THE MERMAID & ME

Recently I found a quote that gives me a warm feeling in my depth:

“A man’s love cannot be satisfied by beauty alone; you’re more than beautiful and that’s why I love you.” By Laurencio

I have no idea who Laurencio is, but do know what he said is true, true, true. Beauty fades or is damaged by time and events, even heartbreak paints lines on our faces that last forever.

There were a few significant events I lived through yesterday in my virtual world that play into this theme.

1. My previous virtual lover turned unexpectantly feral, taunting me with his new-found freedom to flaunt his attraction for others in my face to hurt me as badly as he could. It did.
2. Had a meeting with three friends all of whom are the requisite beautiful and who had dreams so big it was difficult to imagine.
3. I met a mermaid…


The Mermaid & Me

The mermaid was the final blessing for this historic-to-be marriage between the great Turner and me. It reminded me of how I got into this situation with him in the first place (Contrary to the active rumour mill, I am not with child (at least I don't think so -- /me races to the virtual pharmacy for the early pregnancy test). And, just in case you wondered what that shot gun is in the corner – that is the great Turner’s. He uses it to deal with demons, vampire and wolves that circle him too often).

Back to mermaids….In this virtual world, I can’t do many of the things that are seen as valuable in the environment. For instance,

- I do not build much of anything other than bookcases and pillows. Building in this world is as easy as assembling those little wooden blocks you get in a big bag when you are two or three years old – or like Lego). But for me it takes too much patience and is too fiddly.
- I do not have a clue how to script – write little magic spells to tell all the fiddly bits you have built how to move.

Exterior Design

But I do teach and encourage others and I “exterior decorate”.

My skills in “exterior design” come to me honestly: I remember where I shop, know how to use Search and am curious about lots of things in my virtual world. This means I go to unusual buying establishments.

So when the great Turner asked me to help him design his role-play character, I was more than ready to whisk him efficiently away to purchase his new body, his new skin, his new hair and a variety of elegant and imposing outfits for his new persona. That is all I did, honest.

So you must be asking yourself, “what does all this have to do with mermaids.” Good question. Yesterday, I am missing my new husband, but know he is out securing the bacon for a massive feed of the massed army he is assembling with others. I have steeled my heart to know I will just have to miss him and be satisfied with that. But no, he calls to me in that abrupt and so loving way of his: “Hey!”

Come To Me Now!

He tells me I need the "third blessing" and I am to come to him immediately to meet someone. So I pull on my track shoes and fly through the ether to meet him at the bottom of the ocean (no worries with breathing here). Why you ask? To meet his mermaid.

A beautiful redhead appears behind me. I turn to her and we talk. What can I do for this mermaid? She hopes first of all that we will be friends – easily done in this virtual world by exchanging “phone and email details”. Second, she want me to take her shopping. Nothing could be more fun for me. Another assignment in exterior design awaits.

Yet, it was her heart that was so appealing. Far under tons of ocean, in the still quiet of sucked in sound stood a woman with such a kind heart and inner beauty that it took me by surprise.

So today, she and I (with the great Turner in tow to carry the bags and boxes from our shopping spree) will roam the virtual world and have fun…

No comments: