Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Arthur C Clarke - Disturbance in the Force

Today one of my favourite authors passed away.

=================================

Arthur C. Clarke, British-born science fiction author, has died in hospital in Sri Lanka at the age of 90. Clarke had been in and out of hospital since his 90th birthday in December and had breathing difficulties, his aide Rohan de Silva said.

"Sir Arthur passed away a short while ago at the Apollo Hospital," Mr de Silva said.
During a career that spanned some seven decades, Clarke wrote more than 80 books and hundreds of short stories and articles.


But he is perhaps best-known as the author of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which director Stanley Kubrick made into a film in 1968.

================================

Isn't it strange that today, writing was the topic of my last two blog articles.

The first book I ever wrote, at the tender and oh-so-confident age of 14, was SF. Then I realised I was too young to understand life much anyway and didn't have enough of a clue about hard science to fill a thimble. I still have that "book" somewhere though. (it was awful!)

After seeing 2001 - A Space Odyssey, several times and having read the book, I endeavoured to read many of Mr. Clarke's books and articles. He was prolific and a future thinker, always thinking ahead of most in the world.

He was 90. I hope when I am that age, I will have written just one novel that he would have picked up and considered reading.

For me, today there is a disturbance in the force of writing.